Monday, February 13, 2012

Ferret Questions.?

If I were to get a ferret I would get more than one ferret... would they still require daily attention, apart from the cleanings. Basically what I mean is if occasionally I am working for the majority of the day and come home late and they are all asleep or I'm too tired would it be cruel on them? (I stress this wouldn't be the case every day)



For this reason I wouldn't have them caged, but either have a 'ferret proofed' ferret room or a shed and large run out in the garden however, I read that ferrets don't live as long outdoors as they do indoors... is this correct?



Thanks for any advice.

Ferret Questions.?
They generally need 3-4 hours of playtime a day. That being said if here and there you were unable to give them that amount it would be ok. But if it would be a regular occurance I wouldnt recommend getting ferrets. If ferrets dont get regular playtime they can get depressed and stressed resulting in a host of illnesses. If they are out in a ferret proofed room then it should be ok, but they really do need playtime and human contact. I would also recommend having a cage for them to sleep in or just in case one is sick etc.

You can keep ferrets outdoors, but if you live in a hot area, I wouldnt recommend it. Ferrets can get heat stroke easily in warm weather as they are not very well adapted to it. They also need to have access to somewhere inside, as ferrets need some total darkness through the day to stay healthy.
Reply:So you're asking if there could be a day when your ferrets don't get out-of-the-cage time? If so, I'd get them a huge cage and at least 3 ferrets so they have room to play. I say this because ferrets aren't cage animals, they're just soo nosy that they're safer in a cage. As long as they had their own ferret room, it shouldn't be that bad. I would still provide a cage that they have access to, just so they'll feel more secure. If you're just asking if they are alone while you're at work, then that's fine. Ferrets sleep on average about 16-20 hours a day anyway, so they'll probably be sleeping away while you're working.

About the outdoors/indoors thing, I think ferrets would live longer indoors, although some people have outdoor insulated empty sheds that their ferrets live in, which is just like their own room, only it's not attached to the house. But living outdoors, they'll get natural light which is good for their adrenal gland. It really depends on what YOU prefer- either way is fine as long as it isn't too cold outdoors.

If you want some REALLY good info, join these forums. They're a great way to learn about ferrets.

http://www.everythingfert.proboards36.co...

http://www.ferretvillage.org


No comments:

Post a Comment